Wednesday, January 01, 2014

My 2014 Readolutions

I have set a goal on Goodreads again of reading 100 books in 2014.  That will include the chapter books I read with my kids, too. I have been reading lots of middle grade & YA fiction, which I love, but as always, I want to make sure I find time for "grown-up" books as well.

I will read at least 25 shelf-sitters this year!  I have too many books on the shelves that I've been neglecting.  I picked the number 25 because that's about how many I read last year, but I'd be happy to see that number move up this year.  Included in this goal is to read at least six of my Persephone books.

I will continue to read with my kids. The three of us read a chapter book together just about every night.  I also read books alongside Skye for our mother-daughter book group and our teen book club at the library, and we discuss together; and I've been reading chapter books aloud with Felix, some for the kids book club at the library.  I'd like to find more time for us to look at picture books together, which they both still love.  I hope they always do!

I will keep up with the reading for my online and IRL book clubs!  We just started our IRL group this past year, and it's been fun to get together every month or so, discussing books and developing friendships.

I will track my reading on Goodreads. This has been a great resource for me. I really enjoy being able to look back at what I've read, putting books onto different "shelves," and I love seeing updates about what my friends are reading.

I hope to post much more on this blog.  Writing is another goal for me this year, and this is such a fun combination of two of my favorite things to do.

2 comments:

Michelle said...


I'm always impressed with how much quality reading you are able to accomplish in a year, Caryl! Maybe if I kept better track of my own reading I could be be impressed by myself, too! Well, Maybe! I'm starting the year out with Dickens-Great Expectations.

Caryl said...

I think you would be impressed, Michelle! We read a lot with/alongside our kids, so that really beefs up the reading list! And I think Dickens is great for this time of year.