Friday, January 17, 2014

Books Read, Week of 1/6/14


This past week, I finished Lisa See's Dreams of Joy for my IRL book club.  I liked the book, but didn't love it the way I remember loving Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.  I admire Lisa See and all the research she does, and as I told a friend, this is a much more effective way for me to learn history.  After reading this one, I got online and read all about the Great Leap Forward, China's propaganda posters, and more.  Also, the book made for great discussion with our book group.

In anticipation of seeing author Laurie Halse Anderson speak, I read these two picture books of hers aloud to the kids, and we enjoyed both.  The Hair of Zoe Fleefenbacher Goes to School is so much fun, and timely, since Felix is now learning about the solar system.  (You'll have to check out the book to see how the solar system comes into this story.)  And Independent Dames shows off her passion for history.  She's good!

(Yes, I hope to write a bit soon about the LHAnderson event that Skye and I attended.  Skye is finishing up Chains now, and says it's very good.  When I found out she was coming a few weeks ago, I pulled Speak off the shelf (it's been waiting for me for a long time) and read it in just a few days.  Fantastic book.)

No comments: