Thursday, January 23, 2014

Books Read, Week of 1/13/14

 This week, I finished listening to The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen on audio.  I ended up really liking the reader for this book.  She sounded like a teenage girl to me, and her growth was evident in the changes to her voice.  Really nice story.  The Running Dream is one of this year's Maud Hart Lovelace Award nominees.  We read these with our Kids and Teen Book Clubs at the library, and every year, I attempt to read as many as I can.  So many great picks this year.

Felix and I finished reading the next Littles book, which means there are now two left to read of my four old Scholastic copies from when I was a kid.  He immediately grabbed the next book and demanded we read it, so these are a hit with him.

We've been immersed in the Warrior Cats books for our nighttime read-alouds.  The kids love 'em, which makes it hard to talk them into something else.  So, I've promised to read the first series with them -- six books -- and then we will move into something else.  We are now halfway there, as we completed #3: Forest of Secrets this week!

We also read a few picture books together.  Felix is studying the solar system in school, so I checked out some nonfiction books at the library.  He saw Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System! in the pile, and wanted to read it right away.  He liked it -- was very engaged and asked lots of questions.

I also got out our winter picture books.  Wow, do these bring back memories!  I had them each pick a favorite, and I picked one, also, and then we read them aloud together.  Can you guess who picked each one?

I think I'm going to try to keep track of the picture books we read together this year.

No comments: