Monday, January 27, 2014

Books Read, Week of 1/20/14

I read quite a few books this week!  Look at them all in this photo -- mostly kid lit and YA, which is why I could get through so many.  Let's start with the YA:

More Than This by Patrick Ness.  As I read, I kept changing my mind on what kind of book this was.  An "issues" book?  A coming-of-age story?  A dystopian novel?  Science fiction?  In the end, I decided it was any and all of these.  Loved it.

The Littles Have a Wedding by John Peterson.  With Felix. Three down, one to go!

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose.  I think the author was inspired by the Little House books.  A wilderness survival story with a blizzard and dyslexia to boot!  And it's written in verse.  May B. is a great heroine.

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf.  How have I not read this before?  How have I never read any Woolf before?  How can I admit to being an English major?  Well, now I can.  I was worried; I've always been intimidated by Woolf, thinking she wouldn't be accessible to me.  I learned that yes, she is as smart as I assumed, but she's also a hoot, and I had a blast hanging out with her.

The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higashida. He's a winner.  I marked a few of his quotes.  Insightful and sweet.

Divergent by Veronica Roth.  With Skye, for mother-daughter book club.  Easy to get swept up in the story.  I liked Hunger Games better, but this one also has momentum.  Skye is about 1/3 of the way in and she isn't yet sold.

More winter favorites
We also read more picture books!  We love Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport with pictures by Bryan Collier.  And we each picked out another winter-themed book to read together.  Again, can you guess who picked each of them?

No comments: