Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What I Read in 2010

Ah, this is very satisfying.  I'm organizing my lists of past reads.  Here's what I read in 2010; no links, but maybe I'll add them at some point...

For me:
  1. East (Edith Pattou)
  2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson)
  3. Little Heathens (Mildred Armstrong Kalish)
  4. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
  5. Birds of a Feather (Jacqueline Winspear)
  6. Cracked Up to Be (Courtney Summers)
  7. The Girl Who Played with Fire (Stieg Larsson)
  8. A Noble Radiance (Donna Leon)
  9. The Out-of-Sync Child (Carol Stock Kranowitz)
  10. Before I Fall (Lauren Oliver)
  11. Gunnerkrigg Court, Volume 1: Orientation (Thomas Siddell)
  12. The Wild Party (Joseph Moncure March)
  13. Getting Air (Dan Gutman)
  14. Out Stealing Horses (Per Petterson)
  15. William – an Englishman (Cicely Hamilton)
  16. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest (Stieg Larsson)
  17. Life As We Knew It (Susan Beth Pfeffer)
  18. Keeping the Feast (Paula Butturini)
  19. The Dead and the Gone (Susan Beth Pfeffer)
  20. This World We Live In (Susan Beth Pfeffer)
  21. Very Valentine (Adriana Trigiani)
  22. Brain, Child magazine, Spring 2010
  23. The Postmistress (Sarah Blake)
  24. The Crimson Rooms (Katharine McMahon)
  25. Day for Night (Frederick Reiken)
  26. The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
  27. Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins)
  28. Mockingjay (Suzanne Collins)
  29. Summertime (Raffaella Barker)
  30. Confessions of a Teen Sleuth (Chelsea Cain)
  31. The Clue in the Crumbling Wall (Carolyn Keene)
  32. Mansfield Park (Jane Austen)
  33. The Charming Quirks of Others (Alexander McCall Smith)
  34. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake (Aimee Bender)
  35. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Alan Bradley)
  36. Every Last One (Anna Quindlen)
  37. 77 Love Sonnets (Garrison Keillor)
  38. A Study in Scarlet (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
  39. A Study in Scarlet: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
  40. Room (Emma Donoghue)
  41. The Grimm Legacy (Polly Shulman)
  42. The Heretic’s Daughter (Kathleen Kent)
  43. The Language of Trees (Ilie Ruby)
  44. The Line (Olga Grushin)

For/with Skye (grades 5-6):
  1. The Sea of Monsters (Rick Riordan)
  2. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (E.L. Konigsburg)
  3. Meet Felicity: An American Girl (Valerie Tripp)
  4. Calamity Jack (Shannon Hale et al)
  5. The Arrival (Shaun Tan)
  6. The Titan’s Curse (Rick Riordan)
  7. The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook (Eleanor Davis)
  8. Smile (Raina Telgemeier)
  9. When You Reach Me (Rebecca Stead)
  10. A Family Secret (Eric Heuvel)
  11. The Search (Eric Heuvel)
  12. Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Jon Sciezcka)
  13. The Mozart Season (Virginia Euwer Wolff)
  14. The Magic Thief (Sarah Prineas)
  15. The Magic Thief: Lost (Sarah Prineas)
  16. The Magic Thief: Found (Sarah Prineas)
  17. Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown (Jarrett J. Krosoczka)
  18. The Battle of the Labyrinth (Rick Riordan)
  19. The Gollywhopper Games (Jody Feldman)
  20. The Popularity Papers (Amy Ignatow)
  21. The Last Olympian (Rick Riordan)
  22. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
  23. Julie: An American Girl – Story Collection (Megan McDonald)
  24. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (Jeff Kinney)
  25. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Jacqueline Kelly)

 
With Skye (grades 5-6) & Felix (grades PreK-K):
  1. Down Girl and Sit: Smarter than Squirrels (Lucy Nolan)
  2. Down Girl and Sit: On the Road (Lucy Nolan)
  3. Down Girl and Sit: Bad to the Bone (Lucy Nolan)
  4. Funny Frank (Dick King-Smith)
  5. The Twin Giants (Dick King-Smith)
  6. Dragons Don’t Cook Pizza (Debbie Dadey & Marcia Thornton Jones)
  7. The School for Cats (Esther Averill)
  8. Jenny’s Moonlight Adventure (Esther Averill)
  9. The Big Big Big Book of Tashi
  10. Fantastic Mr. Fox (Roald Dahl)
  11. Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel (Ruth McNally Barshaw)
  12. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Betty MacDonald)
  13. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle’s Magic (Betty MacDonald)
  14. Dinosaur Cove #1: Attack of the Tyrannosaurus (Rex Stone)
  15. Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (Dan Gutman)
  16. Jack Stalwart #1: Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur (Elizabeth Singer Hunt)
  17. Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (Dan Gutman)
  18. Jack Stalwart #2: The Search for the Sunken Treasure (Elizabeth Singer Hunt)
  19. Mrs. Roopy Is Loopy! (Dan Gutman)
  20. Ms. Hannah Is Bananas! (Dan Gutman)
  21. Dinosaur Cove #2: Charge of the Triceratops (Rex Stone)
  22. The Giants and the Joneses (Julia Donaldson)
  23. Dinosaur Cove #3: March of the Ankylosaurus (Rex Stone)
  24. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle’s Farm (Betty MacDonald)
  25. The Doll People (Ann M. Martin & Laura Godwin)
  26. Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (Barbara Park)
  27. How to Save Your Tail (Mary Hanson)
  28. Runny Babbit (Shel Silverstein)
  29. Betsy-Tacy (Maud Hart Lovelace)
  30. The Meanest Doll in the World (Ann M. Martin & Laura Godwin)

 
With lit circles (grade 5):
  1. Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) (Lisa Yee)
  2. Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Midnight Visitor (Donald J. Sobol)
  3. Skellig (David Almond)
  4. The Lemonade War (Jacqueline Davies)
  5. Chasing Vermeer (Blue Balliett)
  6. Hatchet (Gary Paulsen)
  7. The 39 Clues, Book 1: The Maze of Bones (Rick Riordan)
  8. The City of Ember (Jeanne DuPrau)
  9. Holes (Louis Sachar)
  10. Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom (Eric Wight)
  11. Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Jarrett J. Krosoczka)
  12. Gregor the Overlander (Suzanne Collins)
  13. Lunch Lady #2 (Jarrett J. Krosoczka)
  14. Lunch Lady #3 (Jarrett J. Krosoczka)
  15. Once Upon a Marigold (Jean Ferris)
  16. Star Jumper (Frank Asch)
  17. The Headless Cupid (Zilpha Keatley Snyder)

 
Maud Hart Lovelace Book Award nominees (for Kids Book Clubs at the library):
  1. Eleven (Patricia Reilly Giff)
  2. The Missing: Book 1 – Found (Margaret Peterson Haddix)
  3. Deep and Dark and Dangerous (Mary Downing Hahn)
  4. How to Steal a Dog (Barbara O’Connor)
  5. All of the Above (Shelley Pearsall)
  6. If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period (Gennifer Choldenko)
  7. The Sloppy Copy Slipup (DyAnne DiSalvo)
  8. No Talking (Andrew Clements)

7 comments:

Storied Cities said...

I absolutely love reading lists of books other people read!

Russ Cox said...

Wow! That is an impressive list! I must get my act together and get to the library.

Kristin McIlhagga said...

What a great list! I love that you have it divided up by categories. The lines of what I read for school and pleasure are so blurred sometimes - which I most of the time I like. But I have tried this year to be more cognizant of readings things just for me as well as with my children and for my students. I want to make sure that I am feeding my own "reading soul" along with others! Looks like you've done a great job of that.

Madigan Mirza said...

Ah, you do a much better job of reading adult books than I do... I think I'm almost exclusively YA and middle-grade reads. I'm a librarian, so I always feel like I've got to keep up!

Caryl said...

Thanks for the comments, all! Book lists are one of the first things I look for on a blog. They give a great snapshot of a person's reading personality and interests.

Kristin & Madigan, it was sometimes hard to determine if a book should go on the "for me" or the "for/with Skye" list. I decided to put on Skye's list all of the ones that we either read together, or one of us recommended to the other. I also try to pay attention to how many "for me" books I'm reading, and what kinds of books are going in that category. I definitely find myself at times focusing on middle grade and YA (because I really enjoy them!), but I want to spend some time with books for "grown-ups," too. Keeping my lists separate helped me with that.

Amy L V said...

Thank you for sharing these lists. They are impressive...and inspiring. I think I need to share them with my own children too...very generous of you. Thank you! a.

Caryl said...

Amy, thanks for stopping by! Book lists are one of my favorite things in the world, and I'm happy to share. :)