Sunday, January 12, 2014

Books Read, Week of 12/30/13


Wrapped up 2013 with three fun (in their own way) books:

The Elements of Style Illustrated.  An English major who's never read Strunk & White?  Yup, it's true.  This summer, after listening to E.B. White's three children's novels on audio with the kids, I requested just about everything from the library that had his name attached to it.  And that's about as far as I got -- except, my English major guilt got me to crack open the Strunk & White.  It helps that this edition is illustrated by Maira Kalman.  Read it in bits & pieces, and checked it out again to finish it up this year.  Now, I am guilt-free (because I've read their rules and can now choose whether or not to follow them.)

Fortunately, the Milk.  You can always count on Neil Gaiman to tell a great story.  This one is so much fun!  I read it aloud to Felix, and Skye listened in a bit, then grabbed when we were through and gulped it down herself.  We all laughed a lot!

Hilda and the Troll.  I believe our library has three Hilda books now.  I've loved them all, and Skye has, too.  Great graphic stories; check 'em out.

And started 2014 with three more fun reads:

The False Prince.  As usual, our Teen Book Club picked a winner.  Skye and I both raced through it.  The first in a trilogy, and we just checked out the second from our library.  The third is due out in February:  Yes!

The Littles.  Read this one aloud to Felix.  I have the old versions of these, from Scholastic book orders when I was a kid, and I think this is part of the fascination for him.  I don't know how long this will be there, but I found the book on Etsy.  Quick, take a peek, and let me know if it's familiar to you.

The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics.  This was a part of Skye's book stack last year, and we finally both read it.  It's cute, but I wish the Dot was shown to have better qualities.  Not sure she deserves that wonderful, creative, intelligent, devoted Line.

No comments: