Monday, November 24, 2008

Felix recommends... (Winter '08)

(In this blog, my four-year-old son will be referred to as "Felix," after one of his favorite Rosemary Wells characters.)

Felix loves books. He loves it when anyone reads to him, and I often find him paging through books on his own. Here are a few of his favorites from last winter:

~ Anything Rosemary Wells. Particular favorites are the McDuff books, the Max and Ruby stories, and, as I mentioned above, Felix Feels Better.

~ Toot and Puddle, the first in the series by Holly Hobbie. These two little characters are lovely friends to get to know.

~ Maurice Sendak's Nutshell Library, especially Chicken Soup with Rice. Flashbacks to my childhood!

~ Lynley Dodd's Slinky Malinky and Hairy Maclary books. The rhymes and great illustrations make these extra-fun read alouds.

~ I Love My Little Storybook by Anita Jeram. Reading this one with him was a huge treat. He really connected with the theme: Books are wonderful company!

~ Baby Bear's Chairs and the How Do Dinosaurs... books by the prolific Jane Yolen. What a fun author to get to know.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

There are a bunch of titles here that I haven't explored with Chaz...so many books, so little time...sigh. Thanks for the recs, little man! And happy turkey day to you all!

Caryl said...

Enjoy! I expect at least one of these will be included in his book stack this year, and some of these were from last year's book stack.

Happy Thanksgiving!

jennifer said...

We love Rosemary Wells and Maurice Sendak and Hollie Hobbie!!! In fact, almost any pig in illustrations (I'm looking at you Olivia) make me smile.

"Not feeling perkier," is a common refrain at our house when any of us are ill.

Caryl said...

Rosemary Wells has such a way with words, doesn't she? The perkier quote is great. Also, "No, please," and, "Don't worry, my little moonbeam." So sweet and true.