Thursday, January 10, 2013

Picture Books with Felix

One of my reading goals for 2013 is to read more picture books with my kids again, especially with Felix.  They both still enjoy them, and I hope they will throughout their lifetimes.

So far this January, Felix and I have read three together:

Step Gently Out by Helen Frost and Rick Lieder

"Step gently out, be still, and watch a single blade of grass."

Helen Frost wrote two novels in poetry for young people that my daughter and I loved:  Diamond Willow and Hidden.  When we looked for more information about her, we found this picture book.  Step Gently Out uses beautiful photos by Rick Lieder as illustrations for a gorgeous poem by Frost about insects.  Felix was a little intimidated -- he's hated insects ever since being stung by a hornet a couple of years ago -- but the photos are so up-close and detailed that he couldn't help but be intrigued.  The last two pages give more information about each of the tiny creatures that are mentioned in the poem.

The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas and Helen Oxenbury

"Once upon a time, there were three cuddly little wolves with soft fur and fluffy tails who lived with their mother."

I always cheer when I see Helen Oxenbury's illustrations!  She is marvelous, gentle and fun.  In this twist on the story of the Three Little Pigs, there are lots of funny changes to talk about and predictions to make.  The wolves start by building a brick house, but the Big Bad Pig knocks it down with a sledgehammer.  What will they all try next?  And how will this tale end?  Felix and I had fun spotting the china teapot the wolves saved from the pig's destruction on many of the pages.

Moose, Goose and Little Nobody by Ellen Raskin

One day a big wind blew.
Trees fell and a gas pump flew.
From somewhere a red roof
spun through the air
and came down with a
BUMP!

"What is that?" said Moose to Goose.

Felix loved this one!  Ellen Raskin is silly and adores playing with words.  For more about this book (and to see some of the great illustrations), check out this review on one of my favorite blogs, Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves.

No comments: