Sunday, July 29, 2012

Little Free Library, Day 2


Here's a photo of our Little Free Library.  Gorgeous, eh?  My dad does great work!


When I checked it around 10:30 on Saturday morning, the following books had been taken:
Ten, Keith Haring
Miss Child Has Gone Wild, Dan Gutman
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, Gary D. Schmidt
Will Grayson, Will Grayson, John Green & David Levithan

And the following books were left inside by others:
Pooh’s ABCs – a board book
All the World, bilingual version (English/Spanish) by Liz Garton Scanlon (Author) & Marla Frazee (Illustrator) – one of those little books that comes in a Cheerios box, I think

Cool!  I wonder if the people who took/left the books will be back.  I expect so.  I saw my neighbor outside today, and she said, “Everyone’s admiring your Little Free Library!”  I should have said, “It’s not mine, it’s ours!” but instead I excitedly told her that people were using it already.  She said she knows someone in Milwaukee who has one.

Today, I plan to make a little info note for the library, and pick up some flyers about our library’s fall celebration to include for people to take.

Later…

I checked the Little Free Library several times on Saturday.  In the late afternoon, I noticed that three more new books were added:
Save Me, Lisa Scottoline
Blood Canticle, Anne Rice
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston

And Will Grayson, Will Grayson was returned.

One neighbor who was outside doing yard work stopped by, exclaiming that she loved the idea, that she'd thought about making one but wasn't sure how to do it, and told me she’d bring some books over soon.

I picked up some flyers at our library about our fall celebration of community that we hold there every year. This year, we are starting the day with a 3K Fun Run. The flyers give the date and information on how to register; I thought sticking some flyers into the Little Free Library could be another way to let people know who might be interested.

I also wrote some little notes on Post-its and stuck them in books, things like “We love Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle! Enjoy!” and “I finally read this classic novel and thoroughly enjoyed it. What took me so long?” I left the pad of Post-its and a pen in the Library and wrote on the top one, “Add a note to a book, if you like!"

Another neighbor stopped by as I was adding notes to books to tell me she’d brought her granddaughter over.  She’s the one who took Ten, and then left the Pooh’s ABCs board book.  I encouraged her to take a book for herself, and we decided on The Magic Thief, as she enjoyed Harry Potter.  She said she’d seen some of our neighbors paying a visit to the library.

Later that evening, I noticed that the Jonathan Kellerman mystery had been taken.

It's so fun to watch its activity every day!  I hope to post more tomorrow about Sunday's Little Free Library excitement.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This is so cool and gorgeous, Caryl! I'll have to make a trip in to see it!