Friday, January 20, 2012

Poetry Friday: I Like Winter

I woke up this morning to snow falling.  Hooray!  We've had so little of it here in Minnesota this winter, and it feels so strange, especially with the crazy warm temperatures.  But yesterday we braved sub-zero temperatures, and today we are supposed to get an inch or two of snow.  This is more like it.

My mom sang to us a lot when we were kids.  She also read to us a lot.  She'd make up songs for the poems she'd read in books.  Whenever it snows, I hear my mom singing her made up tune for Lois Lenski's I Like Winter:

I like winter, I like snow.
I like icy winds that blow.
I like snowflakes, oh so light,
Making all the ground so white.

Sometimes, I sing it to my kids.  And they don't complain too much, because they like snow, too.  They were so happy this morning!

You can take a peek inside the book here at Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves, a blog I just discovered when looking for info about this book and Lois Lenski.  Isn't it neat (the book and the blog)?  I remember studying all the details in Lenski's simple, colorful drawings.  Looking at the sheet music for the song, I think my mom must have started trying to follow it with her tune, but then went off with her own  improvisation.

To learn more about Lois Lenski, you can read about her here at the Ohioana Authors website.

It's Poetry Friday!  This week, Wild Rose Reader is the host.  Head on over to her blog to enjoy some more poetry today.  It's a great way to find some blogs that may be new to you.  I love the idea of celebrating poetry every week.  I've needed that reminder.  I just got out our copy of I Like Winter, along with a poetry book we got for Christmas, to share with the kids when they get home from school today.

8 comments:

Myra Garces-Bacsal from GatheringBooks said...

Hi Caryl, I grew up in a tropical country where it's summer and the sun shines 12 months a year - so the snow is a tad mysterious for me. I did experience winter (a bit) when we visited family in California December of 2010 - but I'm sure it must be very different there in Minnesota with entire houses blanketed in snow. Thanks for sharing Lois Lenski this week! Love her poetry.

Linda at teacherdance said...

What a lovely find for you, the old book you remember pieces from that your mom sang. I did check out the other blog too. Thanks for the link. Lois Lenski is really something to treasure, isn't she?

Caryl said...

Myra, I hope you can visit Minnesota or somewhere snowy someday. It's truly magical.

Linda, there really is something special about Lois Lenski. I loved those illustrations as a kid.

Thanks to both of you for stopping by!

Kathy Cannon Wiechman said...

I like snow, too, but we've had ICE, a thick layer upon another thick layer that has made all things treacherous. And as I complain about ice, I am told that tonight we may get tornados. So much for weather in the Ohio River valley.
Love the memory that the weather provoked for you!
Kathy Cannon Wiechman (Swagger Writers)

Ms. Yingling said...

This looks so cute, and I love Lenski. Of course, I woke up to torrential rain here in Ohio!

Caryl said...

Ice is awful, much less tornados! I hope the weather in Ohio has calmed down for you both.

Amy LV said...

Singing and reading Lois Lenski. It's hard to get better than that! I think I had a book about fall by Lois and now wish to find it. Thank you for the link to the vintage site - so many neat ideas in here! a.

Caryl said...

Amy LV: Yes, I think Lenski has a book about each season. I'd love to collect them all. Thanks for stopping by!